Wednesday 19 November 2008

Christmas Lights Switch On

Today, as I was leaving Sports World, I noticed that there were hundreds of people gathered on the High Street. Since there are usually not many people there around 6pm on a week night, I asked a bystander what was going on. He explained to me that Exeter's city Christmas decorations were about to be turned on. As I made my way up the street, I could see that many people, especially children, were carrying glow sticks and light-up swords, and other people were wearing blinking headbands and cardboard reindeer antlers. There were also some people in costumes, including one dressed as a robin and another dressed as a robot. Soon, the DJs facilitating the event led a countdown to the switch-on, and the decorations were powered up. The switch-on was immediately followed by a spectacular firework display, which lasted around 10 minutes. Following the fireworks, the DJs urged us to stick around for various live performances that were taking place in the area. I couldn't stay for long, because I needed to wash up and cook dinner, but I did catch a glimpse of a man twirling fire batons.

What a pleasant surprise it was to catch this huge, local event!

No comments: